Wednesday, November 5, 2008

President Obama


Obama rally in Grant Park, "Chicago's Front Yard." Three blocks from our apartment.

The energy on the sidewalks walking around was infectious. Chicago has not been a shiny, happy place by our observations in the past year. Except last night, people were so happy and kind to each other even before the first electoral votes were assigned. Perhaps the people were being presumptuous. However, if Obama can spread that kind of optimism, that's change I can believe in.

One of my students from last year, Jerry, is typically an underperforming guy. I was able to coax some effort out of him last year, even awarding him a most-improved award, but it appears he has returned to his old ways during his sophomore year. Yesterday, he walked past me humming "Hail to the Chief." I commented on his choice of song. He said to me with a twinkle in his eye, "First Black President, Mrs. Shukla." Will this historic election change the outlook of our typically underperforming Black students? I sure hope so.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hi friend! So did you go to this rally? Wow, I can't believe you live so close! It was great to read your words, I have missed you. Keep up the posting! :)
Jenny