Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Our fun weekend (Mar. 21-23, 2008)

Jen here:

On the first day of Spring, it began to snow in Chicago. It lasted until Friday afternoon. It was slushy and yucky. However, we had tickets to the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Sanjai "won" the tickets from the Graduate Medical Office for reading his email and asking an intelligent question. It was a nice evening. We enjoyed getting to dress up and seeing an amazing performance.
On Saturday, we finally made it to one of the incredible museums that the city has to offer. I was thinking of my dad as we walked up the steps to the Shedd Aquarium. He was so persuasive in getting us to visit the New Orleans Aquarium when we visited in 2002. I was hoping that the Shedd would be just as good so I could take him there one day. The aquarium is perched right next Lake Michigan. Check out the view:
I forgot to mention, Sanjai also had me help him shave his head that morning. He was thankful I suggested a hat for our travels. Here are some things we saw at the Aquarium:
We got there just as a Dolphin Show was starting. Talk about crowded. It was great fun though. They also have Beluga whales. There was a baby Beluga born this summer there, but I don't think we saw it (or it had grown very quickly!). They also had a great shark tank that you felt like you were inside. The stingrays were in a small enclosure that had a clear ceiling that you could walk on. So, it looked like you were hovering over water that had stingrays in it! We saw a feeding taking place in the "Caribbean Reef." There were stingrays there as well. The educator was really trying to make the hard sell of how docile they are. It was great fun. We only saw half of it, but we're members now. So, Dad, I've got a free ticket waiting for you!
We couldn't leave the Museum Campus, which also is home to the Adler Planetarium and the Field Museum, without taking a picture of Sanjai in front of the Brachiosaurus in front of the Field.
Finally, I will leave you with another picture of our pooch. She is so far from being any kind of show dog. This pose is what we call "person in a dog suit." Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lyn Gill said...

Now I know that Chicago has driven you nuts! Sanjai, you waited until the dread of winter, with snow on the ground to shed your locks? I guess I better learn how to knit some warm hats!
Mom

Lofgrens said...

Love the blog guys! I especially like the post on how Kaya would turn out if left in Sanjai's care - yikes! It was so good to see you all the other day. Didn't realize the shaved head was a new thing. Why didn't you wait for it to get warmer??? Glad you finally got to take advantage of the big city you're living in and have some fun.