Monday, March 24, 2008

Kaya: A Hopi Indian word for "Baby Substitute"

















Sanjai here:
Well, I know that Jen promised not to post too many pictures of the dog, but I'm under no such restrictions. Most of you know that we got a Yellow Labrador puppy while still in Denver. We named her Kaya, which is a Hopi Indian word meaning "little sister." We got the name from a Bob Marley song, only to find out later that when The Dreadlocked One is singing that he's "got to have Kaya now," he's actually referring to marijuana. So we just tell the Hopi Indian story when asked what her name means.
Thankfully, Jen had the whole first summer that we had Kaya off, and was able to dedicate some serious socializing time with the puppy. I would often come home to this scene as my wife had fallen asleep next to her crate. It was a lot of work (on Jen's part, not mine), but nearly 2 years later we have a fantastically behaved dog adjusting well to The Windy City (although she does miss the 300+ sunny days we had in Denver).















Although the title of this post is obviously a joke, I do think having Kaya has given us a chance to see what it would be like to have something to take care of and nurture without the responsibility (or dirty diapers) that come with actually having kids. Now that she's pretty much full grown, I'm not sure how long I can hold off the call of the Biological Clock. For now whenever talk turns to parenting styles, I rely on these last pictures as an example of how a living creature left in my care will end up (Drunk, in the dryer, or semi-rabid):













No comments: